After making the homemade jam, I wanted to bake something with it. The first thing that came to mind was Jammy Dodgers (find the jam recipe on my blog). I loved eating these when I was a little girl.
I have always loved baking, but biscuits are tricky gluten free because they are much more crumbly, however these hold their shape really well. This biscuit recipe is really easy to make, but looks really impressive .
These are made with coconut sugar so they are much healthier for you than a normal biscuit. I find the coconut sugar actually adds a really nice flavour. I actually prefer these biscuits to the ones with caster sugar. If you want to be completely refined sugar free then you can use sugar free jam. These biscuits are great to make in any season. I used raspberry jam but you can add any flavour jam you like.
Every summer I love to go the seaside with my family and dog who loves to have a walk on the beach and paddle in the sea. We always have a picnic. These biscuits are perfect to have in the hamper with a cup of tea. These are now going to be in the cake tin when we go out for day trips.
My tip is to roll out the dough straight away, don’t rest it because it becomes to crumbly to roll out.
Gluten Free Jammy Dodger Recipe:
- 110g unsalted butter
- 55g coconut sugar
- 165g gluten free plain flour
- 1tbsp whole sheep milk (but you can use normal milk)
- ½ tsp vannila bean paste
- 1 jar of raspberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 170°/150 fan/ gas mark 3 ½ and line 3 baking trays with baking parchment.
- Put the butter, vannila and coconut sugar in a bowl and beat until the sugar is light and fluffy (I beat it for 4 mins on a medium speed),
- Next beat in the flour with a pinch of salt and beat in the milk until it forms a soft dough. Beat in a little more flour if too soft.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 mins to bring it together.
- Cut the dough in half. Roll out half the dough using a round cutter and place onto the baking tray, then roll and cut out the rest . Use a small star cutter and cut the middle of half of the biscuits (these will be the top).
- Put into the oven and bake for 15-20 mins until they feel firm to touch ( I baked mine for 19 mins in a fan oven).
- Once cooked leave on the baking tray for 5 mins then place to cool on a cooling rack (be careful when moving the biscuits because they are delicate).
- To assemble the biscuits put a teaspoon of jam onto the biscuit that does not have a star shape on it. Then place the star cut biscuit on top.
2 thoughts on “Gluten free Jammy Dodgers”
They look delicious, well done Orla!
These biscuits are very impressive.