Happy summer, the sunshine is finally appearing after a very snowy March. Recently after work on a Saturday I have been going for a walk in Primrose Hill. My colleagues have been asking to take cakes in. I have been craving muffins. They are perfect to take on the go and I find them less rich than a cake. When working it gives me the energy to keep me going for the rest of my shift. So I have been making lots of different flavors and this one is my family and friends favorite.
Gluten free coconut muffins!
The great thing about this recipe is it does not take long to bake , so if I have the ingredients I can make them easy and quickly.
My mum and I have decided to buy English organic frozen fruit for these muffins. It means that I can make the muffins when ever I like . I always make sure I have sugar, flour and milk in the fridge. The English frozen fruit is actually sometimes cheaper than non frozen fruit.
I always loved eating coconut muffins when I was studying for my A levels last year. I would go and have a cup of tea and I would order a lemon and coconut muffin, but now I am not eating gluten I have to make my own. Its hard to find gluten free muffins in tea shops.
These muffins are actually made with almond milk. I made them both with coconut and almond milk and I found the almond milk works best.
I now take these into work every Saturday but I never get bored of them.
I hope you like making and eating this recipe too !!!
Recipe: Gluten free coconut muffins
- 200g self raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 150ml almond milk
- Blackberries (about half a packet)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the flour, sugar, coconut and salt in a bowl and mix together.
- Make a well in the middle and then add the oil and egg and mix together.
- Add the milk and mix together. Stir in the blackberries (don’t worry if they get squashed that will mean you get a better distribution of blackberries).
- Finally spoon into muffin cases (makes 12 muffins)
- Bake for 30-35 mins. (They will be done when the skewer comes out clean)
- Once done leave the muffins to cool then take out of the muffin tray and leave on a cooling rack to cool completely .
One thought on “Coconut Muffins”
I made these they are really great.