One thing I look forward to is having big gathering of people over for dinner, lots of laughing and food. The great thing about having a year off is as a family we have more time to have people over. I can spend more time in the kitchen rather then having my head buried in a book.
So we are having a friend over who has special dietary needs . She eats a vegan diet with a bit of sheep’s and goat’s cheese. I love it when she comes over. It makes me more creative with the dishes I have to cook.
I love all types of food from different countries so when having a dinner party I love to incorporate different types of food. I made a spicy ratatouille which I served with sheep’s yogurt raita, rice and lamb kofta for the people who can eat meat. Yummy!
As much as main meals are delicious the dessert is my favorite part of the meal. Are they yours? I decided to make a blood orange sorbet. As I can’t eat ice cream I have been looking around for great sorbet recipes. The great thing I always say is that they are healthier so I don’t feel bad when I go for a second scoop. Its perfect to have in the freezer to have a scoop in the week.
Recipe: Found this recipe from the guardian newspaper article ( Thursday 25th Feb 2016)
Blood Orange Sorbet
- 10 blood orange
- 125g caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon
- Scrub and zest the oranges
- Roll out each orange on a surface to help get the juice out. Squeeze the oranges until you have 350ml of juice then fish out the seeds.
- Heat 100 ml of juice in a pan with the sugar until dissolved then leave to cool. Once cool add the remain juice.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the maker instructions (mine takes 30 minutes).
- Then put into a container and put into the freezer . alternatively put the liquid in the freezer and after 90 mins it should have frozen around the edges give it a stir and put it back in the freezer. Do this two to three times after 90 mins.
- Then enjoy!